Saturday, January 6, 2018

Attitude of Gratitude in the Classroom

Right before Christmas break I found myself with the worst attitude.

Every little thing my students were doing were getting on my nerves.

And even though there was some positive stuff going on, I was only focused on the negative.

And with only being focused on the negative, I was filled with so much dread about going to work.

Real talk: I was so annoyed with my last class, I didn't even talk to them for THREE days before Christmas break. I put their assignments on the board and gave them a packet.

That is just not how I roll.

After a couple of days of sleep, being lazy, and reading what I want to read, I was able to think about some changes that needed to take place.

First, I accepted this was not my student's fault. Yes, their behavior has been less than stellar and their motivation was almost nonexistent. But, you get what you expect. I walked into my class expecting them to not care and to act impulsively, and they did just that.

I had to change the energy of my classroom and shift the focus.

I knew if we started our day off with what we are grateful for, we would begin with a positive mindset. It is so simple, but has made the biggest difference!

For the first five minutes of class I play yoga music while I'm checking agendas and homework, the students get a post it, write what they are thankful for, and get started on their bellringer. The whole process takes less than 2 minutes and has totally changed the climate and energy of the classroom {and me}


This post it note says it all! 

If you want to implement this quickly, you can pop over to my TpT store and get the whole set up for only $2.00! It comes with the printable letters {I printed mine on colored patterned paper}, a Google Slides presentation that explains what gratitude is, three question prompts to get the students started, and the music I play while they are writing!



Happy Teaching!




Post a Comment

On Instagram

© It's Always Sunny in Room 3. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.