Monday, January 2, 2017

I Can Statements

About 8 or 9 years ago I had my first PD on I Can statements. I remember thinking at the time how pointless it was, how these statements had little value, and how this was just another time waster for someone who doesn't have any time to waste.  I am going to write down statements about what they can do??  Can't they just do it and be done with it?? I know I was not alone in that thought!

But, because I was told to do it, I was going to do it.

Looking back on it it makes me laugh!
To begin with, it was just one statement: I am an Active Reader. All day. Every day. All year.
Then I was told I need more.  ::sigh::
So I added one more: I can use grade level vocabulary in my writing. Haha.

 I don't know how or when, maybe it was in a training on growth mindset or something, but I had a realization: students NEED these I Can statements to increase their confidence as a learner in my classroom.  In addition, I NEED them to make sure every thing I do in my class is grounded in my standards.  It was a light bulb moment.

I added I Am statements so my students can know they are organized, hard workers, and motivated learners in my classroom.  {Click here for more info about I Am statements and how I use them in my class}

Now every activity that is listed on my board, from...
Get Out Your Agenda {I am organized} to
Let's Write {I can infer the protagonists motivations based on the dialogue and thoughts in chapter 27}

 I Can & I Am Statements in My Classroom


Recently I added making the students write down these statements as we complete them in their agenda with the intention that it will help them internalize what they are capable of.

If you have any questions, or need some ideas on how to get started, just comment! I love to help!!

Happy Teaching,


Post a Comment

On Instagram

© It's Always Sunny in Room 3. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.