Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Collaboration and Substantive Conversation Idea

This year our school is really focusing on collaborative and substantive conversations, so I am trying to come up with ways to incorporate these ideas into what I was already doing in order to add depth.  

Everyday we write a 4 or 5 sentence response after reading.  In the past, I just put the question on the board and had them write their own responses.  No collaboration. Just independent writing.

After our PD on collaborative and substantive conversations, I had to think of a way to incorporate this idea into my everyday activities. 

The idea I came up with fairly simple, but gets the job done.  And I have to say, I'm so excited I started doing this.  I love hearing them talk about the questions and sharing ideas.  It really makes their written responses stronger!





1st: Give each table a white board (if you don't have one, chart paper works just as well) and tell them to write the question on it. 




2nd: As the students talk about the question, jot down their ideas. I usually set the timer for five minutes. I circulate around the class to make sure they are on the right track and to ask, "Why do you think that?" A LOT!




3rd: When the timer goes off, the students write their written response individually using the notes their group made.








It's simple, but magical!

Happy Teaching,


Post a Comment

On Instagram

© It's Always Sunny in Room 3. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.