Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Energy Leads to Engagement: Reader's Theater

We can't sit behind desks all day, have our students sit for 60 minutes at tables, and expect them to be engaged.

We have to get out there. Get them moving. Get them INVOLVED!

Energy leads to excitement that leads to engagement.

It's that simple!

Now, as much as I would love to be able to put content into songs (Ron Clark is my mentor....although he just doesn't know it. haha) My brain doesn't work that way. So I have to come up with ways that match my personality and teaching style to get the students engaged.

Here is a little idea you can start using right now to get your students ENGAGED and EXCITED!

Reader's Theater:
When we are reading novels, I assign students to characters.

We push the tables back, form a circle, and our actors/actresses are in the middle.


I read the narration and when it comes to a character's direct quote or lines in the book, they read and act it out.

No prep necessary!

When I started doing this, I was so surprised that students were confused on when characters were talking.  They did not understand quotation marks, dialogue, or flow.  This activity has really helped them understand the feelings and emotions of the characters!!

The students get so into it that we have to have a drawing for character parts. For reals, y'all! The WANT to read OUT LOUD!




If you have any questions about reader's theater, comment or email!

Happy Teaching,


Get Weekly Awesomeness!

* indicates required

Post a Comment

On Instagram

© It's Always Sunny in Room 3. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.