Monday, January 23, 2017

poeTRY Challenge

I am in the middle of a poetry unit with my middle school students, and in an effort to avoid jumping out the my classroom window and running for the hills in pure frustration, I had to come up with something to get my students to TRY at poetry.

Me: "What is the extended metaphor in Road Not Taken?"
Class: Silence
Me: "Anyone?"Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

::sigh::

So, as all best made plans are created, I came up with something on the way to school.

My original plan consisted of reading Still I Rise independently, annotating, and then having a seminar.  We have done several seminars with poetry, but I'm finding that the same students are talking.
 
I love seminars, but I just couldn't do another one today.  I needed something different.

I decided to come up with a poeTRY challenge!

How I rolled it out...

1. I put the students in partners

2. The students read and annotated the poem together





3.  When they finished, they grabbed a computer and logged into Google Classroom and took a short 10 question Quiz Bowl challenge (basically it was just multiple choice questions about the poem...I just called it a Quiz Bowl. Instant fun).




4. After they finished, the scores were immediately released.  They put the scores on a little grid I created on my Smart Board.


5.  The highest scores won a little prize.

The best thing was watching them read and talk about the meaning of the poem!  They were intent on understanding so they could win.


Happy Teaching,








Get Awesome Ideas Every Week!

* indicates required

Post a Comment

On Instagram

© It's Always Sunny in Room 3. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.